Search This Blog

Friday, August 11, 2023

Going Down A Different Sort of Rabbit Hole

Usually the kind of rabbit holes I go down are on the internet. I look up, or at, something which leads me to look up something I see on the first site which leads me on to another site which causes me to go to .... well, you know.

But this week I've spent way too much time chasing one of my memories. It started with a thought about a friend from forty-plus years ago named Ivadell. As soon as I thought of her I remembered one specific weekend when she came to visit me and the kids when we lived on Tuck Corner.

The specific memory was a photo of her wearing my cowboy (cowgirl?) hat. My steady guy was taking us both out for a Saturday night of dinner and dancing and we were kidding about wearing my western hats. I wanted to find the photo to go along with this post so I started sorting through hundreds of old photos. That took most of two afternoons and I did not find the photo I wanted of Ivadell in my hat. So, the next best thing was to find the journal entry from 1978-79-80 (?) which related to her visit and would remind me of more details. That took another afternoon or two of reading old journals since I didn't know the exact date.

Finally, I found it: October 6 - "A very nice evening and tomorrow, Ivadell!" That's it. No details and no more posts until October 27. So, I guess I have to rely on my faded memories after all. 


Not Ivadell in the hat, but me. 

At least I found a pic of the hat.

I was working at the Congregate Meal Site then and Ivadell came down to present some kind of program for the group - something relating to senior citizens. She was almost a senior citizen herself at 62. Ivadel was so friendly and personable, everyone enjoyed meeting her.




Back to the evening of dinner and dancing - Caldwell's in Redding was one of our favorite places to go and that is where we took Ivadell. It was a happening place back then. (Operated 1976 - 1983)

The building is still there but now it is Tull Farms. The left hand side was the restaurant and the right hand side was where the dance floor was with a stage at the far south side and tables and chairs around the dance floor. On a Saturday night the place was packed. I wish I could remember the names of some of the bands that played there.

We usually stayed until "the last dog was hung" as my Mom used to say. That night as we left there was a guy we knew who was having some kind of car trouble - wouldn't start? Flat tire and no spare? Anyway he asked if we could take him home. Of course. What else could we do? But cram four adults into the cab of a pickup? Not so easy and definitely not comfortable especially for a trip of fifty miles. He was appreciative and we were relieved once we got him to his home. 

There were a couple other things I remember about her visit but what I can't remember is how, where, or when I first met her. It was when I was living near and working in Des Moines. Ivadell was an events planner for Drake University's Olmstead Center, so maybe there? Or perhaps through PRSA (Public Relations Society of America) where I was a member - maybe she was, too? Maybe at the recording studio where I worked or through a mutual friend? I just can't recall. Regardless we met, hit it off, and became friends.

I did see her and meet her new husband Wilbur at a St. Patrick's Day party at their home in 1985 after I moved back to West Des Moines. They were a fun couple. Both died in 2008 just a few months apart.


I found this photo of her on her obituary. I'm glad that thought I had about her several days ago sent me down this rabbit hole. It has been a pleasure to remember her and some of the times we spent together. 💞

No comments:

Post a Comment