Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2021

The Ephemerality of Nature

 

Two days ago we were enjoying unseasonably warm weather; today we're in a blizzard. Anyone who observes sunrises, sunsets, the movement of clouds, the actions of animals, etc., knows how quickly a scene can change.

The sunset photo at the end of my last post was taken at 5:08.

This one, four minutes later. It was nice to be away from home where I had a less obstructive view for some different sky photos.

I've labeled this one Sentinel. And find myself wondering how Grant Wood might have painted the scene.

Field of dreams?

It is getting increasingly difficult to find a pastoral scene sans wind turbines. 

But it is possible to crop them out. I took this final Tuesday sunset photo at 5:28. Only twenty minutes from my first shot to the last. 

At this point, coming back from our swan adventure, we were about a half hour from home. It was that time of evening. I had no sooner said to Bud, "We're going to have to watch out for deer", than the first of four instances of one or more deer crossing the road ahead of us occurred. Fortunately we didn't collide with any of them.

Almost safely home and we could see all the red blinking lights of the new turbines that have gone up west and north of us this year. I couldn't help but think of the red gleam of demons' eyes. They are an arresting sight, but I will always favor the glow of a sunset.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should get out your watercolors and have a go at painting Sentinel yourself! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny, I have been thinking the same thing - not necessarily about just that photo, but in general. Maybe??? (I've even been looking at some famous watercolor paintings online and getting inspired.)

      Delete