Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2021

Ruth of the Marceled Waves



I don't believe this photo of Mom has been shown before. I found it a few days ago. Today seemed a good day to share it - her birthdate, 102 years ago today. 

I don't know the age she was in this photo, I would guess around 20, but we do know the picture was taken on July 4th in Corning.

At first I wondered why she posed as she did, then I wondered if it was to show off her Marceled hair.








Marcelling became popular in the 1920's when women began bobbing their hair. The technique was named for Marcel Grateau (aka Francois Marcel) who invented the curling iron used to make the curly waves.

Mother called it finger waving when she did her hair this way because she used her fingers, not a curling iron. It was a style that lasted into the 30's before losing popularity though Mom continued finger waving  her hair most of her life. I remember a few times when she used a comb and her fingers to press some waves in my hair when it was short. She also tied rags in my hair to make it curly, but that's a subject for another day.




Happy Birthday, Mom. 
💕💞

2 comments: