Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2021

Sutton Hoo, Suffolk, England


At the end of the noon news yesterday on Channel 13 was a review of some movies suggested for weekend watching. The one that got my attention was "The Dig".

All I gathered from the brief description was that it was set in 1939 England and was about an archaeological dig on the farm of a widow.

I love period pieces. I told Bud I would like to watch it sometime.

Sometime was this afternoon.


This is a new, 2021 movie (released yesterday) based on the 2007 John Preston novel of the same name. We watched it on Netflix.


This is a photo I found online of the burial mounds at Sutton Hoo. And these are a couple of the artifacts from the dig. 


A gold belt buckle.



And a very fancy whetstone/scepter.

The recovered artifacts were donated to the British Museum.

The treasure trove is considered the greatest ever discovered in the U.K.







This movie is what I refer to as "a quiet little film, exquisitely wrought." Just perfect for a rainy winter afternoon. I adored it and recommend watching it if it crosses your path. 

2 comments:

  1. Cliff and I will probably enjoy that. We have Netflix. I follow John Sandford on Facebook; he recommended a mini-series on Netflix, "The Queen's Gambit". He said the series is true to the book, although I forget who the author is. We've only watched two episodes, but so far, I like it. It's supposed to be a "coming-of-age" movie, and I generally like that kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, like coming-of-age books and movies. I had seen 'The Queen's Gambit' advertised, now I am going to watch it. Thanks for the recommendation. I hope you like 'The Dig'.

    ReplyDelete