Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Cabin Fever

 


I used to get cabin fever every winter, usually in late February or early March and brought on more by the desire to be planting a garden than from being shut in. I had a full time job and children still at home so I was out and about and busy.

Now I'm old and retired and stuck inside because of the weather and dodging the spread of Covid-19. To illustrate just how stir happy I am, we have watched not one but two rom coms this week - the first during the big snow storm Tuesday and the second on New Year's Eve. We seldom watch movies and usually not romance comedies if we do. 

So instead of perusing seed catalogs and plotting the planting of a garden, I'm planning some short trips away from home. My first choice would be to visit family members, but that won't happen until we get our vaccine shots. 

The first of our little excursions should be happening soon, I hope. As soon as we know the swans have arrived at Schildberg Recreation Area in Cass County. Over the past twenty years they have shown up as early as October 30 and as late as March 20. With the exception of those two dates and three times in December, all the other arrival dates were in November. I hope they'll show up soon.

The other outing I'm plotting is a day trip to Council Bluffs which will include going back to Bayliss Park and Fairview Cemetery, two places I once visited as a teen; seeing the Black Angel of Council Bluffs and another trip to the Squirrel Cage Jail. I was there years ago with Kari and Preston, but Bud hasn't seen it. This outing won't occur until late spring or early summer. And by then, hopefully, we'll be able to safely go many more places.

Until then, just daydreaming and planning helps curb my cabin fever somewhat. I wouldn't mind going over to Chariton and going through the Historical Complex there when it opens again. That is where the cabin pictured above is located. I took the photo in June 2019 on our way home from Kathryn and Travis' wedding. The complex wasn't open that day, but we could walk around the grounds.

And there are many other possibilities.....I'm not ready to be only an armchair traveler quite yet.

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen the Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs? We really enjoyed it. We've seen the squirrel cage jail, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We took two of the grandsons there several years ago. Beautiful building; we really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I was going to ask if you watch series on Netflix. We really enjoyed Greenleaf. It's rather soap-opera-ish, but I liked it. We do very few movies also, and the ones we do watch are older ones. Yesterday while Cliff was in the shop I watched "Goodbye 2020" and laughed quite a bit. They make fun of both political sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch some things on Netflix and alot of detective series on Britbox.

      Delete