Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Books I Read in January

Only six books read this first month of the new year. That was probably because I decided to read one that was 983 pages of small print.

I'll Be Seeing You: A Memoir by Elizabeth Berg about her parents relates her journey of caring for them in their final years.

Monogamy is Sue Miller's latest novel. As I told the librarian, "I don't have to know what the book is about, I'll read anything she writes. I found much to relate to in this telling of second marriages, children, stepchildren, wives-in-law (as I call them) and complex relationships - all told with insight and beautiful prose.

People Of The Canyons by Kathleen O'Neal and W. Michael Gear is their latest offering in the North America's Forgotten Past series. I've read and enjoyed their books for many years, though this is the first one I've read since 2015, so it does look like a have a few to catch up on. I always learn something about my country's Native American peoples and their past.

Jackdaws is one of Ken Follett's books about WWII. After reading one of his books last month, I knew I wanted to read more by him and WWII is one of my favorite time periods to explore. I'll be reading my way through all the Follett novels now.

The Pillars Of The Earth is Ken Follett's best selling novel according to a Jeopardy clue last week. I've had this copy forever, purchasing it at the Half Price Bookstore in West Des Moines years ago. It was always one of those books I was going to read someday. After reading its prequel last month, I knew I had to dig it out and read now. Luckily it was in the first box of books I pulled off the shelves in the garage.
Oh, my goodness, I understand its popularity now. Even though I finished it days ago, it still lingers in my mind. I find I'm still caught up in its pages of history.

Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver is another of her books from my own shelves. After reading Lacuna and rereading The Bean Trees last month, I knew it was time to also reread Animal Dreams published in 1990. 
On the inside cover, in a young person's hand, is written: "To Mom, August 2, 1994, Love, Kris." I found that significant because it is my son's birthday and the handwriting is similar to what his was when he was young. 
Below that inscription I wrote: "Purchased at a garage sale in Reinbeck, IA, 1996." Reinbeck is near Waterloo. I've been trying to remember which trip to NE Iowa we would have been on then. And I have no memory of stopping at a garage sale along the way. 
Kingsolver's novels entwine our planet's huge ecological problems with the personal life stories of  people working to solve them. Her books are written in facts and gorgeous prose, like this example:

"The flowers were beaten down, their bent-over heads bejeweled with diamond droplets like earrings on sad, rich widows."

My library closed after it was learned that someone who had been there tested positive for Covid-19. Curbside service is scheduled to resume on the 2nd of February. I might take advantage of that but more likely will read a few more of the books I pulled out of that box in the garage. A couple of those were by one of my favorite authors from the last quarter of the previous century. Time to see if she still holds up to my memories of her work.




No comments:

Post a Comment