Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2020

Walking In Graceland

Sixth day of walking each morning, I think I'm firmly in the habit. After Sunday's walk I was anticipating achey knees and hips and I had them! What surprised me though were the shin splints. But I kept going and was rewarded when the pains went away by day four.




When I was up at McKinley Park taking some pictures earlier this Spring, a guy asked me if I remembered the "big sundial" and where in the park it used to be. I told him I did not, but that there was a big sundial out at Graceland Cemetery; is it possible they moved it out there? He didn't know and I can find nothing about it online.



When I first saw a bird sitting on this statue, it was so perfectly still I began to think it was part of the stone carving. Then it flew and I recognized a Mourning Dove. Appropriate?





A different statue, Hope, a different bird, Robin.

"Hope is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all"
    (Emily Dickinson)



Benches near the pond offer a serene setting for some meditation. It was a lovely, quiet morning to be back at Graceland, but already I could feel the day heating up.

On the way home I was coming up on a white commercial van with Covergirl written on the back doors. It was obviously a work vehicle. Why would it be advertising Covergirl cosmetics? Or did it have some other Covergirl association. Then I got close enough to see it read Convergint (Convergint Technologies). Maybe it is time to schedule that yearly eye exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment