Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Garlic Scapes and Scape Salt

In a FB post this morning from one of my 'liked' pages was the mention of garlic scapes and scape salt being available via VegEmail from a small family farm in central Iowa.


First I had to Google scape to find out what it is - a smooth stem without any leaves or branches with just one flower. Basically, the stem of a garlic, onion or chive plant. But a new term for me, we just called them tops.

My mom had chives which she may have gotten a start of from her mother. I have been wanting chives for some time. Yesterday I found a place where I could dig a few to transplant.



Which I planted near the Coral Bells I moved from Mom's farm.
Such a coincidence to now have chives, complete with their scapes, and learn a new term for them at nearly the same time.




Chives are an herb usually used, in my experience,  as a flavor enhancer in salads or sprinkled on top of mashed potatoes. Just cut a few scapes, and snip them into little pieces. Even the bulbs and flowers are edible.

Making garlic scape salt requires a food processor which I don't have and probably wouldn't go to the work of making if I did have. But it sounds good and there are recipes online if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment