Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Cool Morning Walk

Overnight lows in the 50's made it a crisp morning to walk. I parked on the East side of Lake McKinley toward the north entrance and walked across the pedestrian bridge to access the start of the new portion of the trail.

This is the first time I've walked the trail on the west side of the lake except for a short distance on the south end of it. I had the path all to myself this morning.

I thought it was interesting that ants had chosen to make their nests in the seams of the walk. I wonder why?




I couldn't identify this tree.




So I took a close up of its leaves. So far, my best guess is a Siouxland Poplar, a 'cotton-less cottonwood' introduced by South Dakota State University.







Bindweed and limestone.....













......and lone bindweed and cattails. Bindweed is a member of the morning glory family.


Birdsfoot trefoil and white Dutch clover at the west side of the pedestrian bridge. I see people fishing at this spot, but I think the net has more to do with holding the soil and seedlings in place after the new bridge was completed.

Bloom where you are planted. A lone sweet white clover plant coming up through the blacktop.
It's funny that when I started out the morning felt cool, but when I got back I was quite warm. Guess a little exercise is not only good for you, it can heat you up. 😎

No comments:

Post a Comment