Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2020

A Shaggy Dog Story

Sixty-one years ago today (also a Flag Day on a Sunday), I took my little brother to the picture show. He was five, I was 15. It was a show we could both enjoy:

Him because it was a funny, cute little movie about a boy who turns into an Old English Sheepdog and me because Tim Considine was in it. I had a crush on Tim from when he played Marty on the Disney TV serial Spin and Marty.
I would have said the movie was in color, not black and white, so I must be remembering the 1976 sequel, The Shaggy D.A. - a movie I most likely took my own children to see.


Another kind of drama had occurred just four days earlier:
"Leslie upset the utility cupboard on him today. Really made a mess." He was 'climbing' the shelves trying to reach something towards the top when it tipped over on him. I know Mom and I were both fearful about standing the cupboard back up - how much blood would we see? How badly was he injured?
"Didn't hurt him." I recorded in my diary. But I know it scared him.


I know Les has many memories of his childhood. He may or may not remember me taking him to see The Shaggy Dog, but I'll bet he remembers tipping over the utility cupboard! Even now, sixty-one years later. 😘

No comments:

Post a Comment