Search This Blog

Sunday, July 22, 2018

A Darling Moth

Last evening I noticed a moth on the screen of our bedroom window. I could glimpse some iridescence to its wings, so I wanted a photo of it so I could look up more information about it. But when I got close to take the picture, it flew away.

This morning I found it on the deck, not moving, so I got my camera again. Still it did not move, even when I turned it over. It was either dead or couldn't fly for some reason.

Then I saw movement, so maybe it was still alive. I placed it on a sunflower leaf, hoping it would fly away after resting awhile. Unfortunately, a little later, I knew for certain it was dead. The motion I saw was just a breeze causing its wings and antennae to quiver.

Getting a photo, though, still allowed my original intention - to find out more about it. It really is a darling moth, catocala cara - the darling underwing with the deep scarlet-pink hindwings.

I tend to pay more attention to butterflies than moths, but maybe that's because most underwing moths are active at night, so I don't see as many. I'm sorry this one died, but I appreciate learning more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment