Search This Blog

Friday, June 29, 2018

More Signs of Aging?

If you plug 'dementia' into the search box at the top left side of my blog, the returns will show you all the times I've already posted something about one of my biggest worries.
This is what I shared on Facebook yesterday: "Uh-oh. I've been forgetting names for some time, but this morning I found my box of cereal in the laundry room. 😊but not, more like 😟" It's hard to believe I didn't put it in the pantry cupboard as I do each and every day.

A couple of days ago and again today, two different old sayings, ones I haven't used or even thought of for ages, have popped out of my mouth. Is this another sign of aging - remembering more from youth and less about what happened yesterday?

The first was flying off the handle, which means losing self-control; acting before thinking. It alludes to the uncontrolled way a loose axe head flies off from its handle. (I used to have an axe like that. Really. I've also been known to fly off the handle - more than a few times.)

This morning, I forget what we were talking about, I said, that'll throw a spanner in it. Bud remarked the other way of saying the same thing, throw a wrench in it. Either way, it means to do something that prevents a plan or activity from succeeding.
A spanner is the British term for a wrench. Ah, back to my English great-great-great grandparents for credit.

I don't care if remembering old sayings is a sign of old age. I am happy to be remembering some of them. My grandparents had so many sprinkled throughout their daily conversations. It is almost like hearing their voices again.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Meaning even difficulties have some hopeful aspect, even if you can't see it yet. Isn't that what my picture of the clouds (from Tuesday evening) represent? Gray for grief; pink for possibilty?

No comments:

Post a Comment