Search This Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Cattails and Heron


I have been taking a series of photos of the cattails.
Monday, they were dancing in the wind.




Yesterday, the heron went strolling by.

Last Saturday when I saw the heron, I thought there were two, or maybe a young one along.

Zooming in showed me something I had never seen before, the way the heron had its wings out. One site I found online calls this a sunning or wing drying posture. Another name is the flasher pose.

Half-way flashing. This is probably how it was standing when I first noticed it and thought there was more than one heron. By the time I got my camera and zoomed in, it had both wings out.
I am lucky to have so much wildlife just outside my window - and to see these, new-to-me, behaviors.

Blue-Eyed Grass
  By Mary Hunter Austin

Blue-eyed grass in the meadow
   And yarrow-blooms on the hill,
Cattails that rustle and whisper,
   And winds that are never still;

Blue-eyed grass in the meadow,
   A linnet's nest nearby,
Blackbirds caroling clearly
   Somewhere between earth and sky;

Blue-eyed grass in the meadow,
   And the laden bee's low hum,
Milkweeds all by the roadside,
   To tell us summer has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment