Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2018

From Greek To Roman

I have tried different types of plants in my woman's head planter, always wanting something that would resemble 'hair'. When I used some of Mom's sedum I had moved from the farm, it was perfect. Not only did it grow robustly, it did not have to be replanted every year.
Her 'hair' grew so wildly, I began referring to her as Medusa, the Greek mythological goddess with snakes in lieu of hair.

This year the sedum had all died. I had some lamb's ear that needed replanting, so I stuck it in the woman's head planter. It was okay until it started growing upward. She needed 'hair' so I started some more sedum. Now she looks like she is wearing a 'fascinator', don't you think?
Unconsciously, I began referring to her as Minerva instead of Medusa. Minerva, the Roman Goddess of Wisdom, often depicted with an owl.

If I had only put two and two together three years ago when this young owl landed on the deck so close to the woman's head planter, I might have begun calling her Minerva a lot sooner.

These early morning clouds made me think of some pink-winged creatures flying home to roost. It was already 73° at 5:45 a.m., heading toward another hot, 'heat-advisory' day. Is there a goddess of air-conditioning?

No comments:

Post a Comment