Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Baking Squash and Brownies


Yesterday was a good day to have the oven going with those strong north winds continuing to gust. It was time to bake the spaghetti squash I got at the Winterset Farmers Market. Do you use spaghetti squash? I remember the first time my Mom planted some. They were a novelty and she loved trying new plants in her garden.

I usually only get one about once a year. I forget from one time to the next how much one squash makes. This two quart casserole was FULL by the time I got it all shredded. When I got the first half in the bowl I seasoned it with sea salt, coarse ground pepper and some Italian seasoning spice and some margarine.
I repeated that after adding the second half of the squash to the bowl. I also topped it with a little left over marina sauce - as much for color as for taste.

That is how we ate it for lunch yesterday, along with some broccoli, the last of my Farmers Market tomatoes and baked chicken (which I over-baked), a slice of bread and butter and a little brownie for dessert.

There is still a lot of squash left over. I might use it like spaghetti with a meat sauce over it for another meal and then freeze what's left so we don't get sick of squash this week.

Bud asked why I was baking brownies when we've been trying to avoid sweets. I told him, "This time of year, it's just what you do. It's like some unwritten rule. When the weather gets cold, you bake."

No comments:

Post a Comment