Search This Blog

Saturday, October 21, 2017

A Final Roundup of Weston Pics


Speaking of 'roundup', the first store I wanted to go to was The Celtic Ranch. Specifically I was looking for a new Connie Dover CD. I thought this was the place I bought my first cassette of her's many years ago. I did not find a CD, but I did love looking at all the Irish clothes, jewelry, gifts, etc. I love this display of Celtic iron work against the timeworn brick.

I did find something I really wanted, a Newsboy cap by Mucros Weavers of Ireland. It is rare to find a hat or cap that actually fits me and this one did. So tempting, but $50? I had to pass on it. Of course I'm now wishing I hadn't.

The flowers as we strolled along the streets -

- and peaked down the alleys, were gorgeous.

Even unrestrained ones on a side street, spilling across a cracked sidewalk, were winsome.

It was down that side street where we finally located the American Bowman Restaurant/Weston Brewing Co./O'Malley's Pub. I liked the colors of the Irish Cream Ale sign with the leaves and bark of the tree behind it.

We elected to dine on the patio - taking advantage of the gorgeous weather - and the yellow jackets elected to take advantage of our food and drinks. (L to R, Carter, Kari, Shin and me.)

The object visible above Carter's head in the previous picture was this huge, 3,000+ pound ball of string, which once held the world record. It was created by one man, Westonite Finley Stephens. Amazing!

This reproduction of an early Weston shows how the town was once right on the Missouri River where steamboats docked. After the river changed course, it is about two miles away from the town.

I had to take a picture of Weston Brewing Company's pristine VW bus. There's even a book about the story of its purchase and the trip to get it, The Tale of the O'Malley's Bus by Corey Weinfurt. I'll bet that's an interesting story.

We were back on Main Street, exiting one of the shops, just in time for Bud and Shin to help the purchasers load this old Apex washing machine. The patina on its copper tub was lovely.

The century-old device was said to have come from the laundry room in the St. George Hotel - "Lodging for River Captains and Wagon Masters".

If we hadn't decided to walk down to the little Weston City Park for photo ops, I would have missed finding my Weston souvenir....

....because the Mad Potter Studio wasn't visible until we were by the fountain. I have always liked pottery and I love this souvenir of our trip to Weston.

It was a lovely little Fall get away, made more perfect by being with family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment