Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

A Tradition Made and Kept

When my first child was born, my Grandma Bessie gave her first great-grandson a baby ring. I knew her son, my Dad, had a baby ring, but I never asked if it was a tradition in Grandma's family. I wish I had. I just thought it was a cute and different kind of baby gift.
When my daughter was born, her Dad's brother and wife (Uncle Chuck and Aunt Nancy) gave her a baby ring. I don't remember who gave my second son his, I may have bought it myself, but I know he had one.

When I began having grandchildren I decided to keep the practice going, buying baby rings for all four grandsons and five granddaughters and firmly establishing my own family tradition. It is one I have continued with my great-grandchildren, so far, six great-grandsons and two great-granddaughters. I have also given baby rings to some of my grand nieces and nephews.

I have another great-grandson on the way, due in January. Tomorrow there is a baby shower for him which prompted me to start thinking about buying another baby ring. So few jewelry stores stock them anymore that I have been ordering them online. Also, I used to buy gold rings until gold prices sky-rocketed, so the younger ones have been getting silver rings.

When I went online in search of silver baby rings, an intriguing offer came up on Etsy: "Vintage silver ring for a baby from 1934." I could see from the photo it was just what I wanted for a baby boy - a signet ring. But a size wasn't given. I have seen rings advertised as for babies but the size is a 3 or 4. But this one was so cute I decided to take a chance and order it.

In addition, the ring was in its original leatherette case from Wm. F. Grassmuck Sons, The Family Jeweler, at 617 Vine Street in Cincinnati. This is the picture on Etsy of the ring:



And this is how it fits on my pinkie - definitely sized for a baby. I am so in love with this ring. Bud asked if I'm going to be able to give it away. In looking it over I was surprised to see10K stamped inside, which means it is actually not silver, but 10 karat white gold.


The same day I ordered the vintage ring, I also ordered a size 1 silver band, just in case. It remains to be seen which ring that new great-grandson receives.

No comments:

Post a Comment