Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"The World's Fastest Indian"

When American Pickers debuted on the History Channel last January, I was an instant fan. I've long been a dumpster diver and discoverer of "treasures" set out for trash pickup during clean up week as well as an inveterate devotee of auctions. Watching a show about other people hunting for good junk was interesting. And the fact that these American Pickers were from Iowa made it even better. The interaction between stars Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz adds to the watch ability.
What was new to me was the term pickers. I had never heard that name applied to junk collectors before. The polite term was antique hunters; impolite - dumpster divers. After watching the show a few times I began to notice the two were very interested in old motorcycles - Frank in Honda's; Mike in Indians. I don't know a lot about motorcycles, but I had heard of Indians. I knew they had their own fans just as the more famous Harley's do.

Which is what made me think a movie about Indian motorcycles might be interesting. "The World's Fastest Indian" was the movie my bank's travel club was showing this month. Its reviews were good and it was based on a true story, so this morning we went to watch it.
The movie tells the tale of New Zealander, Burt Munro. His lifelong ambition was to try to break the land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah on his modified 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle, which he did in 1967 at the age of 68. Anthony Hopkins was the perfect actor to portray Munro.
This is a picture of a 1920 Indian Scout. I don't see how anyone in their 60's could ride one very long in such a position. This was such a wonderful 'feel good' movie for people our age. It makes you think that you're never too old.

No comments:

Post a Comment