Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pink Depression Glass

In her Tea With Friends blog yesterday, Angela McRae wrote about her new pink glass collection which got me thinking about my own limited pink depression glass collection. I borrowed the above picture from E-bay because I did not take one of my own biscuit jar - I couldn't find the pattern name, so thought it was a cheap imitation. According to the ones for sale on E-bay, this is the Open Rose pattern from Mayfair. Two examples without lids are offered for $35 & $40 while several with their lids are in the $20 range. (Go figure!) Mine is also sans lid. I have used it to hold tea bags for many years.
I believe if you were serious about collecting depression glass, you would really want to do your homework. I love the footed bowl above. It was something Mom had, but I'm pretty sure it isn't very old. The glass, I think, is from a bedside carafe/glass set - possibly old.
The olive dish is in the Old Cafe pattern from Hocking Glass Co. I do not remember where I got it or the glass.

This bowl is one of my favourites because it was my Mom's. I know she had it for a long time. It is a large berry bowl in the Windsor Diamond pattern from Jeannette Glass Company 1936-1946 era. There are matching small berry bowls, though I don't remember Mom having any. This bowl is in the "soft pink" color.


As opposed to my pitcher, which some call "orange pink" or peach. It is also in the Windsor pattern from the Jeannette Co. I most likely bought this at a garage sale or auction.



Here you can see the two Windsor pieces together and can see the difference in their colors. The pitcher is around $10 and the bowl, $22 on E-Bay. The prices got me wondering how much depression glass originally sold for. I learned much of it was given away to lure customers into movie houses, gas stations and restaurants as well as included as "prizes" inside oatmeal boxes. I remember the dark green and clear glass cups, glasses, saucers and sauce dishes in oatmeal boxes when I was a kid, though not the soft pastel colors.




Another of my favourite pieces is the salt/pepper shaker which was Grandma Ridnour's. It is also from the Jeannette Glass Co. circa 1928-1938. One site calls it a Jennyware Range Shaker. Another site intimates it could have been a part of Hoosier Cupboard shaker set. They were also made in an Ultramarine color. (I prefer the pink.) Grandma Delphia kept this shaker next to her stove, never on the table, which makes me believe "Range Shaker" is an appropriate appellation.
The sugar bowl pattern is Manhattan from Hocking Co. circa 1938-1943. Both handles are cracked and one is chipped. This may also have been something of Mom's.
Depression glass chips very easily. I bought a yellow reproduction luncheon set of Indiana Glass in the Madrid pattern a few years ago and was very disappointed in how easily it chipped. Reproduction pieces are another reason to know what you're buying if you collect - it is hard to tell them from real depression glass.
My little berry bowl is from Hocking Glass, circa 1937-1938 in the pattern known as Fortune. I love it's simplicity. One thing Angela's post got me to do was figure out the pattern names of my pieces.



On the left, another Hocking Glass Co. piece from 1931-1935. It is in the Princess pattern. This pretty little plate is chipped in numerous places. I use it as a lid for my biscuit jar.
The mint dish on the right is also from Hocking, circa 1936-1940. The pattern is Old Cafe. Of all the pieces I purchased for myself, (i.e. not Mom's or Grandma's) this is my favourite.
I have a few pieces of light green depression glass and a couple of yellow. One of these days I'll figure out their pattern names, photograph them, and have a blog topic for another day.





No comments:

Post a Comment