Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

"And They Call the Wind Mariah"

"Way out west they have a name for rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe and they call the wind Mariah
Mariah blows the stars around and sends the clouds aflyin..."


The winds way out west may be called Mariah - the winds we have had the past two days could be called simply STRONG! A record setting low pressure system was responsible for winds that blew semis off the road and downed trees and power lines here in Iowa. Other Midwest states had tornadoes and blizzards - quite the couple of days.

While thinking about wind, two things came to mind: the first was the song from which I quoted. The second are a few lines from a poem: "We are ever and always slaves of these,
Of the suns that scorch and the winds that freeze,
Of the faint sweet scents of the sultry air,
Of the half heard howl from the far off lair.
These chance things master us ever. Compel
To the heights of Heaven, the depths of Hell."

Wherever I read those stanzas and copied them into my poetry notebook, I don't believe I ever read the complete poem until today. It was written by Laurence Hope and is entitled The Teak Forest.

And through the magic of the internet, I learn that Laurence Hope was the pseudonym of Adela Florence Nicolson (1865-1904). I love the ease by which I can now learn anything I want about anyone. The subject of wind has led me to read more about this poet and more of her poetry; a lovely activity for a slightly less windy day. All I need is a cup of tea to accompany my reading.......

No comments:

Post a Comment