Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Wedding Gift Seventy Three Years Later

One of the gifts Mom & Dad received for their wedding seventy three years ago today was this small green crock. I refer to it as "the wedding bowl". A similar one on E-bay calls it a "butter crock".
The one offered for sale online is described as being McCoy Pottery with 'Asparagus' design. It has its lid, while this one of Mom's has been lidless for many years. (I don't remember it with a lid - ever.)
And while the pattern on this crock is different from the online one, I could see this pattern as being the tips of asparagus rather than the stalk.
I always thought "yelloware" referred to the yellow color of old crockery pieces. I've learned that yelloware can be green, blue, brown and other colors as well as yellow. This piece is considered "yelloware".
I don't remember what all Mom used this bowl for. I do remember her baking bread in it one time. Or maybe she just let the bread rise in it before putting it in a pan to bake, though it seems to me the little loaf was round. This bowl is about 3 1/2 inches high and 6 1/4 inches across.
Sometime in the late 80's, early 90's, Mom asked me what I'd like for my birthday. I said, "What I'd really like is your little green crock." It wasn't something she was using much anymore, so she gave it to me for my birthday. I don't use it; I just treasure it. Someday I hope one of my family members knows its history and will treasure it as well.


It is probably just because they are the same color, but I think of this diary and pen of Mom's as going with the wedding bowl. The leather diary, with "Ruth Ridnour" embossed in gold on the cover was a Christmas present from her parents in 1935. She turned 17 in January when she began writing in it.
The little pen has her name "Ruth" on it. Ron told me it was a gift from her teacher when she graduated from the eighth grade.

I wonder if the wedding bowl will last another seventy three years? And if it does, where it will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment