Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Heavenly Blue Morning Glories


When I turned the calendar to October this morning, this is the picture that greeted me. For someone who is not crazy about the color blue, I really love Heavenly Blue Morning Glories.

It could be because they are easy to grow, grow fast, grow in poor soil and will cover a large area with few seeds.









But I think the most likely reason is because my Grandma Ridnour always had blue morning glories covering the gateway we walked through to her house.
This picture of me, Ron and Betty was taken when there was snow on the ground in 1953, but you can see the gate I'm referring to behind Betty.
Grandma loved her flowers and raised many different ones. This gate was her blue morning glory trellis. I don't remember them growing in any other spot.


A packet of morning glory seeds is still one of the best buys. I think they just recently went from ten cents to twenty cents.
Morning glories are named for an obvious reason - they bloom in the morning and close up by afternoon unless the day is cloudy. Each bloom lasts only one day. They attract butterflies and hummingbirds.














I had Heavenly Blue Morning Glories growing in several places on the farm. This trellis between Mom's yard and ours was one spot I usually grew them. They were so prolific they grew clear up into the old cedar tree next to the trellis. That made a pretty picture, especially when the Monarch butterflies would visit the morning glories.
Mom didn't care for blue clothing any more than I, so it is unusual to have this picture of her dressed in blue with the blue flowers. I think they compliment each other.


I need to find a spot around our new home where I can grow some morning glories next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment