Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Brothers Graham?

The 2005 movie, "The Brother's Grimm" was rated PG-13 when it was finally released. I remember reviewers warning that it was not for young children because it was so "dark". I don't remember just when I saw the movie, starring Matt Damon and Heath Ledger, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Naturally I grew up first having Grimm's Fairy Tales read to me and then reading them to myself. The cover of the book I read over and over was similar to this one, though I would have said it was green rather than blue.
The first collection of German fairy tales was published in 1812 by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. It contained 86 stories. Subsequent collections over the years contained various numbers until more than 200 stories had been published.
My favourites were Cinderella (of course), Snow White, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel (which I found very scary as a small child), Sleeping Beauty and Rumpelstiltskin.

The cover of the book I remember my children having looked like this. I don't know how many fairy tales it contained nor which were their favourites. There was more competition for their reading time than there had been for mine. Television was also more a part of their lives than it was for me.
In 1988, I began working for The Graham Group in Des Moines. The owner, John Graham, was retired from the day-to-day company operations, but he did maintain an office and was present occasionally.
Mr. Graham was slight of build, a natty dresser, with twinkly blue eyes and a friendly smile. I never had too many personal conversations with him, but I remember once remarking that Graham sounded like an English name to me. "Were your ancestors from England?", I asked. He replied, "No, actually they were from Germany. Graham is an anglicized version of our family name, Grimm."


No comments:

Post a Comment