Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2024

Taking The Day Off

 

"Delight reigns in the garden" are the words on this little plaque.

Today delight does reign - the first Stella D'Oro daylily has bloomed.

Taking the day off does not have the same connotation it held during all those 47 years of my 'working life'. 

Since retiring, I've been able to take the day off as often as I like.

Mary Oliver offered her own thoughts about taking the day off in this poem of hers....



Today

Today I'm flying low

and I'm not saying a word.

I'm letting all the voodoos of ambition sleep.


The world goes on as it must,

The bees in the garden rumbling a little,

the fish leaping, the gnats getting eaten.

And so forth.


But I'm taking the day off.

Quiet as a feather.

I hardly move though really I'm traveling

a terrific distance.


Stillness. One of the doors

into the temple.


No comments:

Post a Comment