Search This Blog

Friday, May 31, 2024

May 2024 Reading List

 How can it be the end of May already? This month went by so fast, but I did manage to read seven books.

 

None Of This Is True by Lisa Jewell  is the first novel of her's that I've read. It is a psychological thriller that keeps you guessing. Jewell is an English author with several other books which I would definitely read if my library had them.

Tyrannosaur Canyon is the first book I've read by Douglas Preston though I have remarked that I should read his books because Douglas and Preston are the names of my two sons. I thoroughly enjoyed this archaeological thriller and now will be reading more of his books.


The Almost Moon is by Alice Sebold. I remembered reading her first novel The Lovely Bones when it came out more than twenty years ago. It affected me so much I never forgot the author's name which is why as soon as I saw this book on the shelf, I didn't even have to read what it was about to add it to my book bag. This book did not impress me as much as her first one, but it is an interesting story about the thin line between love and hate.

perfect touch by Elizabeth Lowell is a romance/mystery set in the Jackson, WY area. It is the first book I've read by this author, but not the first time - looking back I found I had read it in October, 2015 and did not remember it at all when I was re-reading it this month. Lowell is a good writer and I may read some more of her books when/if I'm in the mood for another romantic mystery.

Blue Labyrinth is the first book I've read by Preston & Child, the dual authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It is #14 in their Pendergast series. I liked the characters and plan to read more books in this series.


Piglet is the debut novel by English author Lottie Hazell. It looks at the complicated dichotomy between the things we want and the things we think we want. I was hooked by the title before I even looked at what the book was about. (Those who know me understand why.) 🐖

Nop's Trials by Donald McCaig is a book I first read many years ago. When we were at my son and daughter-in-law's home last month, Preston was reading a book about dogs. It reminded me of the book I had owned, read and enjoyed about Border Collies. I mentioned that I had loaned my book to someone and never gotten it back. Last week I received this copy in the mail. Preston had tracked down, purchased and had it sent to me to enjoy once again. (Interesting to me, and perhaps to my daughter, this copy was a discard from the McMinnville, OR Public Library.)

I don't know which came first, my interest in Border Collies or watching them work at trials, but I have attended sheep dog trials several times and love watching the dogs work to pen the sheep. (Maybe it has to do with my Scottish genes.)


This photo ties together those last two books - pigs and a border collie. Though Nadette was only half border collie, she looked the part and had some of their herding instincts. Sadly she had already died by the time I was raising sheep, so I don't know how well she might have worked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment