Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2023

Walk The Way The Wind Blows

After the small steel windmill down by the pond rusted away and was removed, I thought, "Good. Now it won't be messing up my photos". Then they went and replaced it with this wooden one. It is more attractive and in a less obstructive place for my picture taking, but still...

Now I've decided I like it. I like being able to look out the window and know which way the wind is blowing - much like we did when living on the farm.

Earlier I took a picture of a deer standing still on the dam, looking into the distance with its nose raised. When I posted it I commented: "Checking to see which way the wind is blowing." So two prompts toward today's blog post.


After we bought our little bungalow on 4th Street in Valley Junction and got acquainted with the neighbors, I learned from one of the retirees about part time jobs with the West Des Moines Schools. Many of their buildings were used for evening adult classes, meeting spaces, etc. The district hired people to oversee the after school hours activities. I substituted in a couple different buildings a few times and then got hired to work at Rex Mathes elementary three nights a week. It was my job to be in the lobby answering questions like where to go for a certain class, etc. I was also to clean any spills or black shoe marks on the gym floor, etc. after people left. Most classes ended by 9:00p.m., but when the WDM City Council held open meetings in the auditorium, they might be there until 11:00! 

I had a very good full time, 8 to 5 job in downtown Des Moines, but I wanted to get some credit card debt paid off and Bud worked nights, so I had my evenings free. If I remember right, I had to be at the school by 5:30 or 5:45, not enough time to stop at home and get something to eat, but time enough to hit the drive-thru at Wendy's. Mmm, grilled chicken sandwich, fries and a coke. An excellent way to gain weight! 😉

Wednesday nights there were always catechism classes in several classrooms in the upper level and usually something going on in the gym, soccer practice, volleyball, etc. One night a week there was a ballroom dance class in there which I especially remember because before every class the instructor played a Kathy Mattea tape which was one of my favorites....

Walk The Way The Wind Blows

Up along the hallwayDown along the stairsI can see the picturesWe've made down through the yearsAnd it makes me blue, darlin'Thinking of the pastAnd I'm truly sorryI couldn't make it last
Walk the way the wind blowsCry the tears, I've criedHopin' for you, darlin'To be here by my sideI've gotta do some thinkin'Of where to go from hereWalk the way the wind blowsWipe away the tears
I remember darlin'When you first came to meAll the air was sweet thenAnd all our time was freeBut like the leaves that witherOur hearts fell awayI think I'll just go out aloneAnd walk my blues away
Walk the way the wind blowsCry the tears, I've criedHopin' for you, darlin'To be here by my sideI've gotta do some thinkin'Of where to go from hereWalk the way the wind blowsWipe away the tears
(Song written by Tim O'Brien)

Unless some other tune comes along, this song will be in my head all day. And that's okay with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment