Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2023

What Can Muscle Memory Help Us Do?

I've heard or read the term muscle memory several times lately and I have a fair idea of what it means. But for a precise definition it is: "A neurological process that allows you to remember certain motor skills and perform them without conscious effort." For instance what I am doing right now - touch typing - a skill I learned sixty-three years ago, although now it is referred to as keyboarding or just keying.

"When a movement is repeated over time, the brain creates a long-term muscle memory for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed with little or no conscious effort." 

"Skill retention from muscle memory can potentially last forever." Which leads me to this question:


If I were presented with a pony, a buggy and a harness, would I still be able to harness the horse, hitch it to the buggy and go for a ride? I haven't harnessed a horse since I was fourteen or fifteen years old - 65-ish years ago. I have very little memory of how to do so. But if I tried, would my muscle memory guide me through the process?

I don't expect to ever know the answer to that question. It's just something on my mind this morning. The photo of me with our horse Queenie was taken when I was around ten or eleven years old. Dad taught me how to harness the horse to the buggy by myself. I don't remember if Betty ever learned to do it alone, though I remember her helping me. Just looking at those reins and harness brings back some procedural memories. I almost believe I could still do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment