Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Watching the Super Bowl Commercials

"People Are Saying Sarah MacLachlan's Super Bowl Ad for Busch Light Is a Masterpiece" was one of the first articles I noticed on my home page this morning. It used to be you had to wait for the actual airing of the game to see the touted commercials, now many are released early. 

I'm a big fan of Sarah MacLachlan's music so naturally I had to watch the :30 second ad. It is something of a spoof, a take off, of MacLachlan's ads for the ASPCA commercials which feature neglected animals in need of shelter; a home. Her song Angel plays in the background. And while I love the song I always mute those commercials. They are meant to play on your heartstrings, invoking sadness, and they do. I can't watch nor listen to them. 


From 1994 to 1999 there was a TV show I adored. It was Due South about a Canadian RCMP Constable attached to the Canadian Consulate in Chicago. Partly police drama and partly comedy, it was a weekly must see.

But what really caught my attention was the song playing during the introduction. It was so hauntingly beautiful. It took quite awhile before I discovered the singer was Sarah MacLachlan. Once I did, I bought her cassette, Fumbling Toward Ecstacy. On it was Possession, the theme song that had me captivated. 

I have several of her cassettes and CDs, but Possession remains my favorite tune. 


Possession

Listen as the wind blows from across the great divideVoices trapped in yearning, memories trapped in timeThe night is my companion, and solitude my guideWould I spend forever here and not be satisfied?And I would be the oneTo hold you downKiss you so hardI'll take your breath awayAnd after, I'd wipe away the tearsJust close your eyes dearThrough this world I've stumbledSo many times betrayedTrying to find an honest word to findThe truth enslavedOh you speak to me in riddlesAnd you speak to me in rhymesMy body aches to breathe your breathYour words keep me aliveAnd I would be the oneTo hold you downKiss you so hardI'll take your breath awayAnd after, I'd wipe away the tearsJust close your eyes dearInto this night I wanderIt's morning that I dreadAnother day of knowing ofThe path I fear to treadOh into the sea of waking dreamsI follow without prideNothing stands between us hereAnd I won't be deniedAnd I would be the oneTo hold you downKiss you so hardI'll take your breath awayAnd after, I'd wipe away the tearsJust close your eyes...

Three of my four NFL Divisional Playoff choices won but by the time it was down to the final four the only game I really cared about was the KC Chiefs against the Jacksonville Jaguars. That was intense, especially when Mahomes was injured. The Chiefs won the AFC championship and the Philidelphia Eagles won the NFC championship so it will be those two teams vying on Super Bowl Sunday. It's the Chiefies for me. Also, who cares about the Super Bowl commercials?

No comments:

Post a Comment