Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

H-o-omid Walk

After a couple rainy days of walking and biking inside, I got back to McKinley Park for my walk this morning. But, boy was it humid! For something different, I walked across the dam and over to the west side of the lake.

The first thing I saw was this paved trail. "Wow"! I thought, "wonder how far this goes?

Only up to this shelter built two or three years ago and down the other side to another parking area. It does make for easier access for anyone wanting to use the shelter.

Mainly I went that way to see how much water was going over the spillway. Still some, but not much considering the way it rained yesterday. (One and a quarter inch.) I like the way the water swirls around and into this drain....

....before gushing out down below.

This is the same Platte River I showed in yesterday's blog. Here it is at the beginning. Yesterday's photo was one I took a few years ago of the Platte near the small town of Rochester, MO. It is sometimes referred to as 'the Little Platte' to distinguish it from Nebraska's Platte River.

This green glen is so close to the city and yet has the quiet and solitude of the countryside. The sumac and the walnut trees are beginning to show some color.

I have noticed this flowering, bushy weed several places during my walks and have had no idea what it is. I do not remember seeing this growing up on the farm. Thanks to Google - it is White Snakeroot, a 'poisonous perennial herb'. If cattle eat it, it can be passed on to humans through their milk and is known as 'milk sickness'. The Wikipedia entry mentions it is thought this might be what killed Abe Lincoln's mother. Yikes! I'm glad all I did was take pictures. Other names are 'richweed' and 'white sanicle'.
When I first tried to identify this plant a couple weeks ago, I thought it was Boneset, aka, Feverwort, which was a medicinal plant used by Native Americans and pioneers. The flowers of both plants are similar. You would certainly want to be sure you knew which was which!

One final picture from this morning's walk - a weed we did have on the farm and which I immediately recognized - Buttonweed. (Also known as Velvetleaf.) The park has lost many trees the last few years. Every spot where a tree has been removed now is growing buttonweeds. They seem to be the first things to grow where soil has been disturbed.

I believe I have acknowledged one of the reasons I enjoy walking outside so much is incorporating it with my love of photography. I just realized I am also enjoying learning about plants I'm not familiar with. All kinds of benefits! 😍

No comments:

Post a Comment