Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Finding A Way To Survive

You may think from the first photo that this blog post is going to be about Creston surviving for 150 years. It is not, though they did celebrate their sesquicentennial this summer.

The sign is in the parking lot of the Historical Village at McKinley Park. It is where I parked this morning to begin my morning walk. I was using it when I got back to my car to try taking a picture of the nice feather I found down by the lake.

It wasn't until I was almost done with my walk before I found anything I felt like taking photos of.
I was walking the semi-circular driveway at one of the shelter houses when I noticed the lovely moss growing in one of the posts placed to keep cars out of the grass.

Of course then I had to check the others - grass in this one.

Some weeds and a tree, mulberry, I think, growing in this one.

And in the last one, among the pieces of gravel some little kid put in there (I'm guessing), the sprout of another little mulberry tree. Wonder how trees get started in places like these? Birds eat mulberries. Birds perch on the sides of the posts and ...... think about it. 😉

I was thinking about the moss, grass, weeds and trees and how they had found a place, a way, to survive when some bright yellow caught my eye. Now how did these flowers survive in this roadside ditch when it is mowed regularly? I dunno.

Back at the car and one final picture with thoughts of survival. Near the pioneer cabin - which brings up its own thoughts about survival - there is a figure of a pioneer woman holding a baby. It was carved from the trunk of one of the many park trees that did not survive, but still lives on......

No comments:

Post a Comment