Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2019

A Quiet Place To Walk



A few days ago I thought of another place for my morning walk. I gave it a try this morning and found it perfect.
Some of the alleys are graveled, but the wider avenues are smoothly paved.
There are hills, but none too steep. And it is so quiet and peaceful here.




There is a small pond to the North.....




....and a larger one on the South.

Many beautiful old pines and other trees are scattered throughout.



Graceland is the large cemetery south of Creston.
A stylized bird is the gnomon on a large sundial.


From a distance I saw only a big round stone something and wondered if it was a well; a wishing well maybe? Closer I saw it was the base for a sundial. The words under the pointer are Companion Garden and around the bottom Through Cloud And Sunshine Together.



Many gravesites are decorated for Autumn. This was the first one I noticed, and one of the prettiest.


I took photos of a couple intriguing markers. This one because of its shape and that it is a natural stone not the usual polished markers.



And this one because there is a note or letter inside a plastic sleeve attached to the flowers and stone.

So curious was I to know what words and thoughts it contained - but left it undisturbed.




There are many benches around the cemetery. Some like this one are the grave markers. In this case, the husband is deceased, but the wife is alive. The wording on the seat is "Take A Seat In The Shade There Lady". I wonder if that is something he used to say to her.

This very large marker is not a grave stone, but a gift from a woman in memory of her family.
"All to myself I think of you, think of the things we used to do. Think of the things we used to say, think of each happy bygone day. Sometimes I smile, and sometimes I sigh, but I keep each olden golden while all to myself." (Wilbur D. Nesbit) 

I doubt you could walk here without getting a peaceful easy feeling. I couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment