Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2018

September Book List

Nine books on my list this month.

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot was the first book of his memoirs. Even though I read it out of order, I enjoyed it just as much as the second, which I read first.

Stolen Prey, Silken Prey and Field of Prey are #'s 22, 23, and 24 in the Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford. I'm still loving his books. I suppose they follow some formula, but each one stands alone with only a cast of characters linking them.

A Time Of Love And Tartan is the 12th in the 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith. When I first began reading this series, I thought it was so good. But either it has lost its luster or I am losing my interest in the characters.

The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson is the second book of her's I've read. I always like books set in the eras of both WW's. This one, during the summer of 1914 in Sussex, England was no exception.
And while both books touch upon the prickly subject of a country 'taking in' refugees, I liked her Major Pettigrew's Last Stand slightly better.

Cold Is The Grave by Peter Robinson. Thanks to a streaming service HD (Hubby Dearest, not High Definition 😉) signed up for, we've been enjoying some English drama series on the telly. DCI Banks was one of those - so good I decided to read at least one of the books it was adapted from. As usual, for me at least, the book was better, but both were very enjoyable.

Gathering Prey and Extreme Prey are #'s 25 and 26 in the Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford - only two more books before I am caught up and then I'll have to wait for him to write and publish another more.
I especially liked Extreme Prey because it was set in Iowa. Davenport is no longer a Minnesota BCA agent enjoying his non-employment - spending time expanding and renovating his northwoods cabin.
Then his former 'boss', the governor of MN, who is now on the campaign trail in Iowa, running for president, but in reality for a spot as VP with front-runner, Michaela, 'Mike', Bowden, asks Lucas to investigate some credible threats against her.
Once Lucas starts asking around among members of some political radical groups, people begin dying, murdered, which gives credence to the threats against Bowden. It is up to Davenport ("just like the city") to find the killers in time - before the candidates take 'the walk' down the Grand Avenue concourse at the all important Iowa State Fair.

Sandford has had his characters visit Iowa before, but this is the first time one of his books has been set almost entirely in Iowa which made it doubly enjoyable. It is obvious he took care researching and placing the various Iowa towns in their proper locations. A detail I greatly admire in any book - but especially one set in my home state.

No comments:

Post a Comment