Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2018

Clearing The Forest

This year's volunteer sunflowers turned into a forest, overshadowing our deck and the neighbor's house. Yesterday we decided it was time to cut them down.

Once again opening up the view. 

This is one of the stumps. I thought I could easily dig them out.

I opened the car trunk for the shovel and was startled by this little tree frog. He hopped off and I was able to direct him to the safety of the flower bed.

What I was not able to do was dig out those two big roots.

My idea was just to leave the entire plants for the birds and squirrels to snack on, but Bud thought it was better to harvest the flowers/seeds and haul off the plant portions. I think next year I will only let one grow instead of three.

This will be the next big job, cutting down the cardinal climbers - but not until after frost.
This is the circle Kari and I were looking through in July. You wouldn't be able to see us there now.

1 comment:

  1. I get those volunteer sunflowers too, right under the bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete