Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2023

The Gettysburg Address and Pickett's Charge

One hundred sixty years ago today, November 19, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the Soldier's National Cemetery.  


Only four and a half months earlier, at the Gettysburg Battle, my Great-great-great grandfather fought and was wounded during Pickett's Charge (fought across the area in the picture above). 

Naturally I learned about The Gettysburg Address in grade school but I understood more about it and the Battle of Gettysburg during my later years. Still, it didn't really resonate with me until I learned my 3xgreat-grandfather had taken part in that particular conflict during the Civil War. 

Now our country is so divided it makes me wonder if we are headed for another civil war. I certainly hope not. I hope somehow, someway, someone (or more than one) will be able to heal the rift between the conservatives and the liberals and unite the majority of Americans once again in a common cause.

Abraham Lincoln seemed to me like an intelligent, caring, wise leader. I wonder if he would have any good advice for today's politicians. 

No comments:

Post a Comment