Search This Blog

Friday, November 17, 2023

Early Pictures of My Dad

 


In the process of organizing some of my boxes of photos, I found this card from my Aunt Leona. 

Inside she talks about us using email to stay in touch instead of writing letters. So it must have been around 2001 when she sent the card. Inside were  a number of old photos of my father, Louis, as a boy.





One of the best photos was this one: "Louis at McKay Place" written on back.

His faithful friend was not identified.





Louis with his little sister Leona.

Dad was 8 years old when she was born.






Again, Dad and Leona along with a different, unnamed, dog. 

It looks like Louis is ready for school with his books on his lap.

Probably 1926.



"Louis and Highland School friends."

Look how tall he was already. The friends were three of the Hoyt kids: Jeanette, Edward and Josephine.

This was possibly Dad's last year at Highland. The Lynam's moved to Taylor County when Louis was in sixth grade.



Another photo of Dad and a young Leona. I think she is holding an ear of corn. Notice the chickens around the wagon.

I posted this on FB this morning wondering about the wagon. A Western Rager? 

A couple of FB friends pointed out that it was 'Racer' not Rager. I had mistaken the C for a G because of the way the capital C was written.



"Louis age 9 and Leona" written on the back of this one.

(All writing is in Grandma Bessie's hand.)

I like this one of Dad laughing. I look at it and wonder which of his features were passed on to his children.

The one that wasn't, to Mom's relief, was his ears. I, for one, got his big ears, but at least mine don't stick out as his did. (What Mom was grateful for.)




Dad a bit older. Of all his grandchildren the one that most resembles him, in my opinion, is the one he never met - my nephew Ian. He was born after Dad died.





I don't know what Louis needed a suit for, but Grandma has this one labeled: "Suit is a perfect fit. Ha!"

Obviously, just as Mom bought our clothes a bit bigger so we would be able to wear them longer, so did Grandpa and Grandma. Especially when buying something as expensive as a suit.



Grandma Bessie and Louis, August 26, 1920. Dad would have been two years, three months old.

Horse is not identified by name. Note the large bell on the post at the middle right of the picture.




Grandpa George holding Leona with Louis and his dad both wearing their good flat caps and all dressed up.

Again, probably 1926.



And on the same occasion, Grandma Bessie holding Leona and Louis the only one looking at the camera.

I love Grandma's flapper outfit. 


I am so grateful Aunt Leona sent me these photos - even if it did take me twenty years to get them scanned and saved. 💛

No comments:

Post a Comment