Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Some Pics and Thoughts About My Big 80th

 

When I first learned that my daughter-in-law was planning a big celebration for my 80th birthday, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. In the past I celebrated milestone birthdays by going on a solitary retreat - being in nature, journeling, reflecting on my life.

But having a  big party with family turned out to be more than I could have imagined. What a day!

Thank you Shalea for all the planning and preparations. You did such a marvelous job. 💖



The photos aren't in any particular order, but I have to start with this one because it was the biggest surprise of the day. I could not help but tear up when my nephew Ian and his family arrived. I hadn't seen Ian and Heidi since their eldest, Maya, was a baby.

I had given up on ever meeting my brother, Les' two youngest grandchildren, Keira and Austin, in person. 

I am beyond grateful that this family came to my birthday.  

I could not have been more surprised and happy.



And very grateful both my brothers were with me and my brother-in-law Gene. (My deceased sister Betty's husband.)

Ron, Les and I were posed for pics when I said, "wait, my other brother has to be in here too!" which is when Gene slid his chair over in front of us. 



My other big surprise was that my niece Lorrie and her husband Kevin flew up from Phoenix to be with me.

This photo is of me and my nephews Andrew and Ian and nieces Lorrie and Kristi. 



Other family I had not seen for awhile was granddaughter Alyssa and great-grandchildren Lily and Maverick.

Can you tell I was especially happy to see great-granddaughter Lily? She is my first great-granddaughter and very special to me.




Two of my children were present, Preston on the left and Douglas on the right.

The other two, daughter Kari and bonus son Mark, had visited us in late summer and early fall.





Chess players! So happy to see these two great-grandsons carry on a family tradition (of sorts). 

These are two of Doug's grandsons, Rodney left and Jack, right.



Grandpa Bud and Grandma Ramona with the six of their nine grandchildren who were there.

Ki, Bud and Zach in back.

Dominique, Deise, me, Katrina and Alyssa in front.

One of those granddaughters said, "we all have to cross our legs". Don't ask me. Some kind of  'thing' I guess. 😕



Brother Ron and me with two of his three children, the twins, Andrew and Lorrie. 

I last saw the twins at Ron's 81st birthday. (Belated 80th due to Covid.)


Granddaughter Deise and I share our birthdays. She is my 'Irish' granddaughter because I had been to Ireland shortly before she was born and her parents gave her an Irish name.

She was born on my 51st - 29 years ago.

I always tease her about spoiling our anniversary plans for that weekend by not arriving in a 'timely' manner as her two older siblings had. It was so late by the time she made her entrance we decided not to leave town. 




Always happy to see my little brother Les and my sister-in-law Susan.

In the background are brother-in-law Gene and niece Kristi.



There were so many photos of family groupings I'm afraid I will leave someone out.

Son Preston, daughter-in-law Shalea with three of their five children and two of their three grandsons.

Zachary, Deise, Ki and Dominique in back. Preston, me, Shalea and Ian, middle.

Greyson and Ayden in front. Zach is Deise's partner and Ian is Dominique's husband.


Grouping with son Douglas and daughter-in-law Shelly's clan.

Zach, Alyssa, Katrina and grandson Rodney back row.

Grandson Sawyer, Doug, granddaughter Brynley on my lap, Shelly and granddaughter Lily, middle.

Grandsons Maverick and Jack in front.

Boy those kids are growing!


Nephews Ian and Andrew bookending brother Les.

Ian, in my opinion, is the one who most resembles my Dad.

It was great to see both these nephews again.


Shalea's Dad, Pete, and grandson-in-law, Ian. 

Pete and I have been co-grandparents for more than 30 years. Long enough that we have become good friends. He surprised me with a b'day card and a fifty dollar bill. I said, "Hey, you forgot the other $30."  He also told me I had a few years to go before I caught up with him.


With my nephew and family -

LtoR - Heidi, Austin, me, Ian with Keira on lap and Maya.

I'm still basking in the glow of their presence yesterday. 




Bud got a picture of most of the great-grands playing outside.

LtoR: Ayden, Brynley being held by Lily, Maverick, Jack in front of Rodney and Greyson.

Missing is Sawyer. He told me, "I don't like being in social situations." 


Me in the midst of all those wonderful great-grands and nieces and nephews.

Lto R - Milacha's daughter, and I'm so sorry I can't remember her name. (Milacha is Andrew's partner.) Jack, Keira, Greyson, Maya, Ayden, Austin, Me, Rodney, Lily, Brynley, Sawyer and Maverick.

It is always a treat to be around the young ones.



Not sure who came up with the idea for the rock shirts, but I love it! And I love that they got me a shirt, too.

Deise, Dominique, Shalea, Rodney, me, Katrina and Alyssa. In front, Maverick, Brynley and Lily.


One of the best presents was a book of Mary Oliver's poems from Les and Susan. I was telling everyone what a great poet she was and how much I loved her poems and then read one of them, 'Wild Geese'.  It begins, "You do not have to be good," and ends with "announcing your place in the family of things." It felt perfect and meaningful to read it.




It was such a wonderful celebration of my 80 years. Thank you to all who made it so special. 💛


No comments:

Post a Comment