Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Do I Really Remember Him?

I woke up thinking about my paternal grandfather, George. He was born 132 years ago today and died September 14, 1947 about two and a half months before his 56th birthday and a little more than two months before I turned four years old.

I say I have memories of being two and having my little sister take my place in Mom's arms and on her lap. Do I have real memories of my grandpa? Or only 'memories' from the photos of me pictured with him? I tried to think of any distinct memories but only came up with a shadowy figure. (I was two in the photo above. Wanting to hold my baby sister? Or take her place in Grandma Bessie's arms?)

Grandpa George was a handsome, distinguished looking man in this photo of him, my grandma Bessie and my dad Louis.

And looking a little older and not as robust in this one, possibly taken not long before he died. Dad and Aunt Leona in back Grandma and Grandpa in front. Aunt Leona would have been 20 in 1945 which is about the age I think she looks in this photo.

If my brother older brother Ron can clearly remember going to Great-grandpa George Means funeral when he (Ronald) was only two years, seven months old, surely I can remember Grandpa George Lynam when I was almost four years old. Do I? I'm still pondering - looking for those specific memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment