Search This Blog

Thursday, November 30, 2023

November '23 Book List

Slightly better than last month - six books read in November.

normal rules don't apply by Kate Atkinson is a collection of short stories nominally tied together. I've been a big fan of this author since I first discovered her, but this book did not live up to my expectations - not her usual offerings.

heat wave is by Nancy Thayer - a new author for me. It is a typical wife loses husband, must start over raising her two daughters alone and learning to love again. Saving grace - it is set on Nantucket.

Things You Save in a Fire is by Katherine Center - also a new author for me and also about a woman learning to trust and love a man. This book was a little more interesting than the previous one. It is about the only female firefighter in a station of men who don't want her there even though she is determined to stay.

New And Selected Poems by Mary Oliver was an 80th birthday gift from my brother Les and his wife Susan. Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets but I did not have any of her books of poetry. This is a very much appreciated gift.

Which, surprisingly, led to one of the most meaningful moments of my birthday celebration. I was telling everyone what a great poet this author was, how much I loved her work and that they should read some of her poems. I said, "Let me give you an example" and started looking for a shorter poem to read aloud. Everyone listened attentively - especially two of my great-grandsons sitting in front of me. The poem was Wild Geese which begins "You do not have to be good". I think that's what got Maverick and Sawyer's attention. 😉 My brother Les is the one in the checked shirt.

Resurrection Walk by Michael Connelly is the 7th novel in his Lincoln Lawyer series. This one also includes his half-brother, Harry Bosch, the main character in Connelly's other series. I love this author and his characters. I had the feeling, from comments in the author's notes, that this might be his last book. But an internet search doesn't say that for certain. I hope there are more!

The Other Woman by Daniel Silva is #18 in the Gabriel Allon series. I know I have at least three more to read in the series. These books are well written and have given me much more of an understanding about the Arab-Israeli conflicts including the one going on now.

Cold weather, shorter days, longer nights are here - perfect for reading. It was nice out today so I went to the library and stocked up - five big fat books to start the last month of 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment