Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2021

Preview of July Books Read

The vineyard at painted moon by Susan Mallery, according to the Urban Dictionary definition, is a beach book

"easily digestable, designed to be guzzled down from a cramped airline seat or reclining poolside chair. Comfortable, happy endings are assured; every couple who ought to end up walking into the sunset together does."

I don't go to the beach anymore, but I do find myself reading more of this type of book during the summer.

After enjoying this one, I'm asking myself why I don't read more of them year round. I like the settings, I like the simple romances and, in the case of this one, I love reading about vineyards and wine making. 

Several years ago we stopped at Windsor Wines in Sonoma County on our way from San Francisco to Portland. That is where I learned that I could order wine and have it shipped to my home as well as choose my own labels. Which I did several times, including the year before I turned 65. I wanted to do something special for my 65th birthday. Then I remembered the Beatles song When I'm Sixty Four and thought, "Why wait?" I ordered a selection of wines and had the words "Birthday Greetings, Bottle of Wine? Will you still feed me, when I'm 64!" printed on the label. I saved one of the empty bottles and bought the little stopper that makes it a candle at the former Dale Valley Winery.

But back to the book. The more I read the more I felt like it reminded me of the 80's TV show Falcon Crest and its tyrannical matriarch. I even wondered if that is where the author got her inspiration.

I never watched Falcon Crest more than a time or two. It was on at the same time as Dynasty, another nighttime soap opera, which I was a fan of. I don't know why I preferred Dynasty over Falcon Crest, but most likely because I was already hooked on Dynasty, which began in January, 1981. FC didn't premiere until December of 1981.

A quick check shows me that I have not read any other books by Mallery but the library has a lot of her books going back to 2009. So, if I do decide to read some more beach books, I have plenty to choose from.

Tomorrow, my other July 2021 reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment