Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2021

"Royal Is My Race"

 

On Bastille Day (look it up if you don't understand what it is or its history) Family Search sent me a 'family connection' - "Ramona, did you know France is one of your homelands?" - which I shared on FB. A cousin asked if it was on my Dad's side of the family or Mom's side (it was on Mom's, through the Ridnour/Whipkey line). She was curious because she remembered her Mom saying they had some French relatives. 

The cousin asking is related on my Dad's side of the family through the Duncans - my grandmother Bessie and her grandfather Leslie, sister and brother. I had chased the Duncans back to Scotland before, but because I told her I would take another look, I did.


Plus, today is the 130th anniversary of Grandma Lynam's birth and since I was looking for something new to say about her that I haven't already shared, it was the perfect time to look back through those Duncans again.

(I took this picture of Grandma back in the 80's. It makes me feel her presence, like I could walk right up to her and hug her once again.)



This time as I followed the Duncans back - Bessie, Lemuel, George, Thornton, Charles Jr., Charles Sr., I followed back through the maiden names of their spouses. This led me to Charles Jr's wife, Margaret Kirk (1767-1846). Following the Kirks - John Kirk IV - III, II, I - David - to another John, married to Marion Greg (1609-1640).

Now, following Marion Greg, her father, Tom Walford Gregg - John Gregg - to John MacGregor of 

 

MacGregor Ancient Tartan
Clan MacGregor! Oh boy!

John MacGregor - Patrick McGregor - to Malcom McGregor, The Lame Lord - John, Black John, 6th Chief of the Clan MacGregor - Patrick MacGregor Of Glen Strae. From here it gets questionable with another Malcom the Lame, and Gregor "Of the Golden Bridles" MacGregor 1330-1390, 1st Chief of Clan MacGregor - another Malcom, Lame Lord (which has me wondering what that "Lame" meant) - who had a son, Donnchadh (Duncan) "Beg" (Younger) MacGregor.


'S Rioghal Mo Dhream - Royal Is My Race

MacGregor Family Crest

There was a long history of feuds between the MacGregors and the Campbells which led to the proscription of the MacGregors. They survived by joining other clans and hiding out in the Highlands (think Rob Roy) which is why they became known as "The Children of the Mist". (From the Scots Connection website.)




I wish I could have shared all this with my Grandmother. I think she would have enjoyed it. Happy Birthday, Grandma. 💕


No comments:

Post a Comment