Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2021

Mormon Trail Park & Lake - Part I

 

We've had a trip back to Mormon Trail Park in Adair County on our list of adventures to do for quite awhile. Wednesday morning was 'the day'. It had been raining, but was supposed to clear, so off we went.

First stop, the old bridge across the West Fork of the Nodaway River southeast of Bridgewater. I really like the old steel bridges and taking photos from them. Crossing long bridges over a big river has scared me all my life, but this size, not at all. Though when I walked across it -- talk about the need for infrastructure funding!


Upriver view. 


There's a wild morning glory growing on that wee island.







"Bloom where you're planted."   




As we drove into the park I pointed up to the right and said: "There's the big tree we were camped under the night the Bridgewater volunteers drove through the campgrounds warning of a tornado and telling us to go to the fire station to shelter." (We stayed in our tent.) 

We asked ourselves: "How long ago was that? Twenty? Twenty-five years?" It doesn't seem possible.



HD referred to these grass carp feeding as "Iowa's version of Shark Week. 😄



The water is just as clear as I remembered it.




Raindrops on a spider's web between the boards of a boat dock.

(An artistic attempt.)




"There's that little bridge to the campground that I remember - but it is in a different location and a whole new campground area."

There was only one camper, a bicyclist, and he was preparing to leave. We learned he was following the historic Mormon Trail across the country.


Old stone retaining wall at one of the new camping spots....

....with sedum just like what I kept a start of from Mom's sedum at the farm.

Around the corner and up the hill, we veered to the right and stopped at the historical marker. While Bud read that, I took umpteen photos of the native prairie and wildflowers.



This area is extensive, and beautiful.

According to the signage, the Mormon Trail followed along that ridgeline where the trees are.



Walking trails are another new (to us) feature.

We had planned to walk some of these, but they were still wet.

Plus, we still had much more to see.




Purple Coneflowers were abundant. Pictured here with some Rattlesnake Master and an attractive, slivery leafed plant I haven't been able to identify.





Abundant and gorgeous!




Lovely white Queen Anne's Lace.

I think the yellow may be Wild Parsnip.


Looking north across the lake from a hilltop on the south side. The lake isn't huge, only 35 acres, but it is perfect for fishing (electric motors only) and kayaking.



We were being sung to the whole time we were on the hill. I finally got a photo clear enough that I could identify this Orchard Oriole.



Oh, also in this area is a shooting range. I was going to post this picture (The Well Armed Woman) on FB and say: "I've found my tribe", but I figured someone would take me seriously and I would start getting invitations to join the NRA. 

Tomorrow - The other side of the lake. 

We would leave the park in another direction - so one last photo from the bridge area of the first pictures.

Wild white morning glories, funji and wild grape vines. 



No comments:

Post a Comment