Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Books I Read In July

 Seven books read this month counting the one I wrote about yesterday.

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman is a book I decided to read when it was included in the new stair design at the library. It had good reviews, but I just couldn't get into it, though I did read the whole book. It seemed to me the author was saying the same thing over and over in all the ways he could think of.

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid is a book I read after it was recommended by a fellow blogger. As she noted, not a book I would ordinarily choose, but one I liked very much.

The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman begins in Berlin in 1941. A Jewish mother knows she has to find a way to get her 12-year-old daugher out of the country to save her from the Nazi regime. It is always hard to read about the atrocities of war and the holocaust but I still found this novel to be interesting and redeeming.

Out Of Hounds is Rita Mae Brown's 13th novel in her  'Sister' Jane Arnold series. I have always enjoyed this series featuring fox hunting season in Virginia. It was interesting that Brown wrote this last year during covid and included the pandemic in her story line. What wasn't ideal was that she seemed very rushed in her writing which made reading it less enjoyable than usual.

City Of Bones by Michael Connelly is the next on the list in his Hieronymus (Harry) Bosch series. By the time I get through this protagonist Connelly will most likely have another new book out for me to enjoy reading.

The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth is about fraternal twin sisters who couldn't be more unalike. One seems to be the 'good' sister, but is she really? An interesting look at how differently siblings remember their childhood.

Oops - looks like I forgot to hit publish yesterday. 😖



No comments:

Post a Comment