Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Heritage In and From the History Book

 


At my brother's birthday party in July, one of the memories we talked about was the teachers we had at our one room country school. He remarked that Miss Ternahan was only 17 when she began teaching there in 1947. She had finished her normal training and had special permission from the county superintendent of schools to begin teaching.

This photo of her and her first students that year shows them posing on the steps of the old Adams County Courthouse. Front row and the grade they were in: Delmar Wilson, first; Virginia Vogel, second, Ronald Lynam, third. Back row, Norman Firkins, fifth; Carol Vogel, fourth and Miss Ternahan. Perhaps that there were only five pupils and their young ages contributed to this very young teacher being allowed to begin her career at Jasper #2.



A couple weeks ago when I was looking for information about the Slide-Off near Mt. Etna, I noticed this poem in the front of the Adams County History Book. It was composed by the former Miss Ternahan, June Myers. 

Heritage

Are we struggling to be worthy

     As along life's road we go.

If we're having serious problems

     There's a thing we all should know.

Our heritage is not a face,

     We put on or off at will,

No amount of money bought it,

     No amount will keep it still.

What we are and what we can be,

     Is an attitude of mind.

Share life's story with each other,

     Leaving selfishness behind.

When you leave a heritage to others,

     You are planting God's good seed.

It may help in their life struggle,

     And fulfill your own deep need.

So many people did share their life stories along with family photos. I have referred to my copy so many times that it is beginning to fall apart.


Miss Ternahan was my teacher for only one year - first grade in 1949. It was the only year Mom didn't keep the school photo of me. She said the picture was so bad she wouldn't pay money for it. So when I happened across the above photo in a booklet at the Corning Public Library, I was elated. It wasn't a good photo to begin with - a copy made on a copy machine - but I took a photo of the photo just so I could have a picture of me in first grade. The photo was June's and the writing is her's.

I don't remember alot about my first year of school. I wouldn't even remember riding behind big brother to my first day if Mom hadn't taken this picture. I do remember all the miles walked back and forth in every kind of weather. I remember learning to read. I remember being fiercely competitive with my classmate that year - the only year I had a classmate at Jasper #2 - and I remember how mad I got at the other kids for teasing me about her brother. And I remember thinking Miss Ternahan liked Mary (my classmate) better than me and wondering why.

"And fulfill your own deep need." That last line of June's poem - was she thinking about the desire in all of us to be remembered even after we are gone?


No comments:

Post a Comment