Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Cement Mixer, Put-ti Put-ti

A few years ago, it was when we were still in the trailer on the farm, I started singing, cement mixer, put-ti put-ti and Bud asked what I was singing. I told him. He didn't believe it was a song; thought I was making it up. I said, "You never heard cement mixer, put-ti put-ti when you were a kid?!" He had not.

I thought it was a fun song to sing even if all I knew was repeating the title. I was eight when the song was popular in 1951, so I suppose its catchy lyrics, even if I didn't understand them all, was fun. Slim Gaillard was the vocalese singer-songwriter. Some of the lyrics following singing the title words three times were: "a puddle o'vooty, puddle o'gooty, puddle o'scooty" then the title words three more times followed by "a puddle o'veet; concrete!"

I have had reason to think of that old tune many times in the last couple of years. We have a neighbor who went to work for a concrete company. He puts in some very long days, leaving early, coming home late.

The problem is the leaving early. This is his work truck. It is VERY LOUD. I didn't mind so much when he left at 5:30-6:00 a.m. But last week it was 3:19 a.m. one morning and yesterday 4:40 a.m. Why so early? I always have trouble going back to sleep - if I do at all. And if I do then I have those crazy dreams and wake up feeling tired, disoriented, crabby, etc, etc. This morning I got to sleep in until almost six. I checked and his pickup was still there. He came home around 7:30 last night, after leaving at 4:40, so maybe he got today off.

Cement mixer, put-ti put-ti.

(8:45 a.m. Not the day off then. I just heard him leave. I don't have to see him leave; I know the sound of that truck. At least maybe we both got a little more sleep.)

1 comment:

  1. Is it as bad as our neighbors on 4th who always started their car at all times of day and night during the winter?
    Preston

    ReplyDelete