Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2026

The Legend of Black Squirrels

 


What a surprise yesterday afternoon. I happened to look out my magic window at just the right time to see this black squirrel running through the yard. This is the first black squirrel I've seen since we left the farm. I most likely won't see it again because two of the resident red squirrels immediately let it know that it was not welcome.


I posted a photo of it on Facebook. A cousin of Bud's commented that their Uncle Orville had black squirrels in his yard in Corning.

Legend was that in the late 50's black squirrels were introduced into town by the Castello twins, Richard and Robert, classmates of mine. Allegedly they had brought them back to Corning after capturing some while visiting relatives in Council Bluffs. 




Prior to their introduction into Corning, I had always heard that the only locations in Iowa with black squirrrels was Davenport and Council Bluffs.

Here you can see why this squirrel was in the neighborhood - that acorn it is holding. There are plenty of those to go around if only the red squirrels weren't so territorial.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Perhaps the two factions can come to a détante and I'll get to see more of this little visitor and, eventually more like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment