Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2026

Child of Depression

 

I don't remember the Depression, but I do remember hearing about it - Dad telling about working for 50 cents a day.

Mom's habits of saving, not wasting, became part of my life. She patched the holes our clothes and shopped the grocery ads for sale items as well as tending a large garden. So, that while I was not alive during the depression, I was affected by it.



For much of my life I was affected by another depression, the one of low self esteem, no energy, feeling worthless and unable to pull myself out of the doldrums. I would suffer those feelings for several days, usually every month or so, before I would feel my mood lifting. I never thought about what caused those moods and as I got older they finally ceased.

I was reading an article about Gloria Steinem, an activist for women's rights I've admired since the late 60's, in which she was quoted as saying: "Depression is an anger turned inward". Now I'm pondering that idea. Wondering if that could have been true about some of my depressions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment