Search This Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2026

1954 - The Fecund Year


In this photo are my great-grandparents Rufus and Kate Ridnour and Kate's sister Aunt Josie Gray.  The Ridnours lived on a farm NE of Nodaway, Iowa and Aunt Josie lived near Plainville, IL. The Ridnours had three children who lived to adulthood, my grandfather Joe, and great-aunts Florence Haley and Lottie Inman. Grandpa Joe and Grandma Delphia had three daughters. Aunt Evelyn Roberts had six children. Aunt Lois Mitchell also had six children. My parents had four children for a total of sixteen grandchildren for the Ridnours. The Haleys had twenty-six grandchildren and the Inman's ten for a total of fifty-two great-grandchildren.

I don't know how many of those great-grands might have been born in the same year with the exception of 1954 which stood out as the year great-grandma Kate had seven great-grandbabies! (One of which was my little brother.) Sadly, it was also the year Great-grandma died. Her's was the first funeral I had any clear memories of attending. (Great-grandpa Rufe died in 1950.)

To date, I have thirteen great-grandchildren with only two being the most born in the same years - two in 2009 and two in 2014. All my great-grands mean the world to me. I'm looking forward to meeting the newest of the bunch, Genevieve Irene, pictured here with her father, Travis.



No comments:

Post a Comment