Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2024

September 2024 Reading List

 How quickly the months pass, taking with them the seasons. Autumn is upon us now, my favorite time of the year; only six books read this month.


What Time the Sexton's Spade Doth Rust is Alan Bradley's tenth Flavia de Luce book and the first in five years. I was happy to see that he is still writing. Flavia is growing up, still persuing her murder solving expertise, now along with the aid of her pest of young cousin, Undine. There is a very big surprise in this book - one that I never would have guessed - and won't spoil by divulging.

The Invisible Hour is one of Alice Hoffman's latest books. I really like her books of magic realism. This one is about a young girl born and raised in a strict commune located in Western Massachusetts. Reading books is not allowed but she discovers the library in the nearby town and its nurturing librarian. She finds a very old copy of Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter and travels back in time to meet the author.

Something Worth Doing is by Jane Kirkpatrick, a new author for me. I have to admit, I was mixing her up with a different author, but I did like reading about Abigail Scott Duniway (1834-1915) "the pioneer Woman Suffragist of the great Northwest". 

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd is a book now more than twenty years old. I know I read and liked it when it first came out but I had forgotten the storyline. I decided to read it again and liked it just as much as the first time.

Death At The Sign Of The Rook is Kate Atkinson's sixth novel in her Jackson Brodie series and the first one since 2019. I was so glad to see this one. He is one of my favorite characters. 

The Women by Kristin Hannah is a novel about the women nurses who served in the Vietnam war. It covers a side of the war which wasn't well known and shows how the men weren't the only ones to suffer PTSD. I was especially moved by the closing of the book when the main character and two of her fellow nurses finally feel recognized when they attend the dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. in 1982. 


The Vietnam Women's Memorial was not installed until 1993. It is a short distance from the Wall.

I took this photo of it when we were there in 2008.







Alan Bradley and Kate Atkinson are two of my 'adopted authors' at Gibson Memorial Library in Creston. Not only do I pay for the books, I get to read them first. I hope it isn't another five years before they have new books to enjoy. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment