Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Froggie Went A-Courtin''

Frogs and toads are both amphibians and closely related.  When I think of one, I often think of the other.

The nursery rhyme song, which dates back to 16th century Scotland, is about a frog.

This post is about a toad and my thoughtful HD. (Hubby Dearest)

The photo of a toad in my flower bed is one I took  four years ago.


Froggie Went A-Courtin' 

Froggie went a-courtin, he did ride, sword and pistol by his side.

Rode right up to Miss Mousie's door, gave three raps and a very loud roar.

Said he, "Miss Mousie, are you within?"  "Yes, kind sir, I sit and spin."

He took Miss Mousie on his knee, said "Miss Mousie, will you marry me?"

"Without my Uncle Rat's consent, I would not marry the President."

Uncle Rat he laughed and shook his sides, to think his niece would be a bride.

Uncle Rat went a-running down to town, to buy his niece a wedding gown.

Where shall the wedding supper be? Way down yonder in hollow tree.

What shall the wedding supper be? A fried mosquito and a black-eyed pea.

First to come was a flying moth, she laid out the table cloth.

Next to come a Juney bug, carrying a water jug.

Next to come was bumblebee, set his fiddle on his knee.

Next to come was chickadee, danced a jig with bumblebee.

Next to come was Missus Cow, tried to dance but didn't know how.

Next to come was a big black snake, ate up all the wedding cake.

Little piece of biscuit lying on the shelf, if you want more you can sing it yourself!


Bud often brings me something he has picked up on his daily walk - a coin, a trinket, something shiny. Recently he opened the outside door and called to me to come see what he had brought. I wondered why he didn't just bring it in as he usually does but I went out to the patio where he proudly proferred a toad.

When he went past the club house some people were doing some raking and trimming and found the toad. They didn't know what to do with it, but HD knew - bring it home to me.

He knows how much I value the toads in my flower beds and under the deck. I wonder how many other women have a mate who brings them toads? I am one lucky spouse.



(Little brown toad I found under the deck also four years ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment