Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2024

It's National Pig Day

National Pig Day, celebrated annually on March 1, was started in 1972 by two sisters "for the purpose of according the pig it's rightful place as one of the most intelligent domesticated animals". Pigs are smarter even than dogs.


I've shared this photo many times. It illustrates and reminds me of some of the best years of my life. I had moved back home to live the kind of life I had grown up knowing - doing chores, raising livestock and food - but best of all - being independent. I was living life my way, being responsible for all my decisions, and secure in the love of family.

In addition to the pigs shown above, I had raised two runts in the hen house on the acreage near Grimes and a couple more in the hen house on Tuck Corner before raising the above litters in the barn there. I remember the first one at this location was a blind pig named Rupert. I don't remember the name of the other one. Faith, Hope, Charity and Grace were the sows pictured with their litters.

I also had chickens, both here and at the place we next moved to. Eventually I even had a flock of sheep. But pigs were always my favorites. I never thought about it, but maybe it was because they were so intelligent. Intelligence is one of the attributes I most admire.

Happy Pig Day. 🐖💗

No comments:

Post a Comment